[Insights Secure – 2016] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 08 February 2016
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic:Critical changes to geographical features
1) It is said that the 36 per cent of the urban renewal projects suffer from both time and cost overruns, and experts say poor urban governance structure is to be blamed for the tardy implementation of these projects. Therefore it is said that smart urban governance is necessary for the success of smart city project. What are the elements of smart urban governance? What reforms are needed to improve urban governance? Discuss. (200 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic:Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes;
Topic:Mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of vulnerable sections
3) It is said that the personal laws of various religions in India have contributed to and perpetuated gender inequality. Do you think courts have failed to ensure justice to women by not striking down personal laws? Critically comment. (200 Words)
Topic:Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Education, Human Resources.
4) “The Right to Education, as an Act that vows to promote children’s right to education is itself potentially violating the same. It is also violating fee-paying children’s right to attend a school of their choice.” Critically comment. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Economic growth
5) Can genetically modified (GM) food crops ensure food security in India? Why has government allowed GM cotton but not GM food crops for cultivation in India? Do you think it’s time for India to start cultivating GM food crops? Critically comment. (200 Words)
Topic: Cropping pattern; Food security; Developments in S&T
6) As part of the action plan of Start Up Mission, government intends to create a policy and framework for setting up incubators across the country in PPP mode. Examine the merits and demerits of this move. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic:Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human actions; Ethics in public administration;
7) You are working as district collector of an impoverished district. For the past one year, this district is reeling under severe drought. The state and union governments haven’t released adequate funds to deal with the effects of drought. You often hear complaints from the public that they are unable to afford even a single meal daily and their children are dying because of hunger. Even drinking water has vanished from tubewells and other sources. You realize that the magnitude of the problem is huge and must be addressed immediately, however the district administration do not have neither money nor other resources to help people. Your requests for funds have fallen on deaf ears. The media is accusing you of insensitivity and some politicians are protesting against you.