[Insights Secure – 2015] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 21 December 2015
If facing problem in loading of Disqus Comments, please clear Cache and Cookies in your Browser and then reload the page. This will solve the problem. Alternatively you can open the page in ‘incognito/safe browsing mode‘.
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic:Distribution of key natural resources across the world (including South Asia and the Indian subcontinent); factors responsible for the location of industries
1) Gems and jewellery contributes 13 per cent of India’s overall merchandised exports. However, India doesn’t trade in rough diamonds. Examine why. Also examine if India has taken any measures to allow trade in rough diamonds and how this measures is likely to benefit India. (200 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic: Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests,
2) Competing economies like China have been dumping goods to keep their factories running. Critically examine how dumping affects Indian economy and what measures can India take to address this issue. (200 Words)
Topic: Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; Devolution of powers
3) During the past few months, there has been a highly contested debate on the merits, viability and feasibility of crop insurance in India given the large number of small farmers and the large amount of subsidy involved that is not being effectively used as the coverage of area and farmers remains small. In this regard, few state governments are attempting deficiency payments in some crops that have a minimum support price (MSP) provision. Critically examine its merits and demerits. (200 Words)
Topic: Mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of vulnerable sections.
Topic: Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
5) “The 10th ministerial meeting of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) at Nairobi essentially failed to strike a much-needed balance between the interests of developing and developed countries in international trade.” Discuss. (200 Words)
Topic: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
6) “After the microfinance controversy, leading to a stringent law against recovery, this call money racket highlights Andhra’s broken lending system.” Critically comment on the ‘call money’ racket and its impact on borrowers. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Infrastructure; Resource mobilization
7) Do you think it is the shortage of money that causes most interventions such as infrastructure and social sector schemes to fail? In the light of recent developments, critically comment. (200 Words)
Topic:Effects of liberalization on the economy, changes in industrial policy and their effects on industrial growth
8) The new alternative investment funds (AIF) rules lay down the red carpet for foreign investors to make a grand front-door entry into the booming Indian start-up space. But these rules have been criticised as too liberal. What is your opinion? Discuss. (200 Words)
Topic: Changes in industrial policy and their effects on industrial growth
General Studies – 4
Topic: Dimensions of ethics