[Insights Secure – 2015] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 19 November 2015
If facing problem in loading of Disqus Comments, please clear Cache and Cookies in your Browser and then reload the page. This will solve the problem. Alternatively you can open the page in ‘incognito/safe browsing mode‘.
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Physical geography; Urbanization
1) What are the major causes of floods in coastal cities in India? It is said that Indian cities are unprepared for the extreme weather events that will accompany global warming. What measures should be taken to such events? Discuss. (200 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic: Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
Topic: Development processes and the development industry
3) One of the outcomes of big projects such as dam constructions is the displacement of humans from their original habitats. With suitable examples, critically analyse how has India treated and rehabilitated such displaced people. (200 Words)
Topic: Mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections
4) It is said that majority schools in India are not equipped to address the safety and other needs of children in school premises. Identify these inadequacies and discuss how will you deal with such shortcomings assuming you are a district education officer. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Agriculture; Irrigation
Topic: Security challenges and their management in border areas
6) Compare and contrast how the governments of India and France responded to terrorist attacks on Mumbai (2008) and Paris (2015) respectively. Which kind of response do you think is more effective in dealing with terrorism? Justify. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human actions; dimensions of ethics
7) You are a Municipal Commissioner and in recent days your office has witnessed many protests by residents from numerous colonies demanding the killing of all stray dogs. In three separate incidences, the dogs have killed small children and these recurring incidences have enraged residents of those colonies. It is indeed true that stray dogs have become a menace and people, including adults, are scared to walk alone in the streets. Residents are demanding nothing less than killing of all stray dogs. According to them, the dogs which were previously captured and released outside the city returned within few days to locations from where they were picked. They are also complaining that surgeries conducted on dogs to prevent them from breeding has been fruitless as new dogs from new regions keep coming. Residents are demanding an immediate response from you.