[Insights Secure – 2015] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 10 November 2015
If facing problem in loading of Disqus Comments, please clear Cache and Cookies in your Browser and then reload the page. This will solve the problem. Alternatively you can open the page in ‘incognito/safe browsing mode‘.
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Urbanization, their problems and their remedies
1) “The causes, sources and impact of air quality issues are interconnected and they need to be addressed together.” In the light of increasing air pollution in Delhi and other big cities in India, analyse the statement. (200 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic: India and its neighborhood- relations.
Topic: Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
3) “A permanent solution on the public stockholding programmes for food security and special safeguard mechanism (SSM) in agriculture for the developing countries – these two outcomes are central to the survival of poor farmers in India and other developing countries.” Discuss the statement in the light of upcoming WTO negotiations, India’s position on these two issues and implication of its position on its farmers and poor people. (200 Words)
Topic: Functioning of judiciary
4) Recently the Supreme Court of India embarked on a unique process to involve the entire society in the exercise by inviting suggestions from the public to improve collegium system. Critically comment on the significance of this move. (150 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Indian economy – growth and development
Topic: Indian economy – growth; industrial policies
6) Do you think India in its zeal to compete with economic powers such as China and become a manufacturing power-house, is neglecting agriculture sector and farmers? What can be economic and political consequences of such policy? Critically analyse. (200 Words)
Topic: Indian economy – employment
7) By 2050, according to analysis of NU data, India will account for 18.8 per cent of the global work force compared with 17.8 per cent today, toppling China from the top spot. Examine the significance of this shift and the challenges it poses to India in future. (200 Words)
Topic: Resource mobilization
8) In India, the total amount from cesses is Rs 1.16 lakh crore. In the light of recent imposition of a cess of 0.5 per cent on all services on which service tax is paid for the cause of Swachh Bharat initiative, critically examine if India is unfairly taxing its citizens. (200 Words)
Topic: Cropping pattern; agri issues
General Studies – 4
Topic: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human actions