[Insights Secure – 2015] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 02 November 2015
If facing problem in loading of Disqus Comments, please clear Cache and Cookies in your Browser and then reload the page. This will solve the problem. Alternatively you can open the page in ‘incognito/safe browsing mode‘.
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
General Studies – 2
Topic: Issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein.
2) What is the rationale behind decentralisation? Comment on the framework that exists for bringing decentralisation in India and the role of financial commissions in strengthening this process. (200 Words)
Topic: Mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections
Topic: Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes;
4) Why many government schemes are named ‘missions’? What is their objective? Considering many missions that government has launched in recent years, examine their constraints and suggest how can government improve their success rates. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Security challenges and their management in border areas; linkages of organized crime with terrorism
5) Recently it was suggested that India follow the U.K. model and set up a separate unit on the lines of Research Information and Communication Unit (RICU) of the U.K. to tackle violent extremists. Discuss the model and its applicability for India. (200 Words)
Topic: Indian economy – employment
6) “Insufficient opportunities for youth to earn incomes commensurate with their aspirations is the root cause of social atrophy, degenerating into violence in many parts of the country, including Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Gujarat, and in Indian cities everywhere.” Do you think conventional methods of job creation have worked in favour of India’s youth? From where should jobs come? Discuss. (200 Words)
Topic: Energy; Resource mobilization
General Studies – 4
Topic: Ethical concerns and dilemmas in government and private institutions
8) You are posted as District Collector (DC). In a village where illegal granite quarrying is rampant, local police seize five vehicles illegally carrying granite. The police are roughed up by an unruly mob said to be supporters of granite mafia. When the police refuse to give back vehicles despite facing threat, the mob demand that they would want to see DC on the spot or else situation would be made much worse by resorting to road blockades and violent activities. When the news reaches you, you decide to go there in the morning as it was already dark. But you receive a message that if you do not go there the situation could turn worse. The SP of district, a lady, softly warns you not to go in the night and she would manage the situation till morning. She says that the situation is much worse than you have imagined and there will be threat to your life. But you get a call from Chief Minister that you must visit the spot immediately and negotiate with the mob to end the fiasco peacefully.