MAINS SELF STUDY GUIDE: Insights Mock Test – 12 (GS-1)
Insights Mains Offline Test Series 2015
GENERAL STUDIES – 1
Mock Test – 12
15 October 2015
Duration: 2 Hours
Answer ALL the questions in NOT MORE THAN 150 words each. Contents of the answers are more important than its length. All questions carry equal marks. (15×10 = 100)
- Critically analyze the causes of farmer suicides in India and comment on government’s response to these suicides.
- Discuss the issue of female infanticide and the role played by women organizations in fighting against widespread use of sex determination (SD) and sex pre-selection (SP) tests in India.
- India’s urban female work-force participation rate (WPR) is one of the world’s lowest at 15%, ranking eleventh from the bottom among 131 countries, according to a 2012 report on global employment trends by the International Labour Organisation (ILO). What are the causes of this trend? Is this situation changing for better and does there exist urban female demographic dividend? Critically examine.
- Do you think fears, being expressed by certain quarters, of a rising Muslim population numerically overwhelming India’s Hindu majority in coming years are rational? Substantiate.
- “The declining sex ratio in India cannot be simply viewed as a medical or legal issue. It is embedded within the social construction of patriarchy and is reinforced by tradition, culture and religion.” Discuss.
- “As practiced today, rural development means pushing the village to copy the town. This vision has no other image of the future to offer to a village except to become urban-like. This kind of mono-modernism is doomed to fail as indeed it already has.” Do you agree with this statement in the Indian context? Substantiate.
- Do you think both poverty and inequality have declined significantly in recent times in India? Critically discuss.
- What do you understand by feminization of poverty and what measures are needed to address this issue? Is this concept relevant to India? Examine.
- Do you think the classical concept of secularism that India adopted after freedom is under threat? Critically discuss.
- The oceans are so vast and deep that it is widely assumed that no matter how much trash and chemicals humans dump into them, the effects would be negligible. Do you agree with this assumption? Examine the sources of marine pollution and effect of this pollution on marine life.
- Recently scientists warned that for the third time in recorded history, a severe coral bleaching event is set to damage 38 percent of the world’s reefs. Examine why and also explain how coral bleaching takes place.
- Most of the unusual climatic happenings are explained as an outcome of the El-Nino effect? Do you agree? Substantiate.
- Recently it was reported by scientists that volcanic eruptions in India, some 250,000 years ago might have helped wipe out the dinosaurs from earth. Discuss why.