[Insights Secure – 2015] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 29 September 2015
29 September 2015
If facing problem in loading of Disqus Comments, please clear Cache and Cookies in your Browser and then reload the page. This will solve the problem. Alternatively you can open the page in ‘incognito/safe browsing mode‘.
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Poverty and developmental issues
1) Is it better for the poor to access a bit of the Internet for free with a few strings attached rather than have no access to it at all? In the light of debate on internet.org (Free Basics) initiative, critically comment. (200 Words)
Topic: World Physical Geography
General Studies – 2
Topic: Parliament and State Legislatures – powers & privileges and issues arising out of these.
3) It is revealed that the Government spends Rs. 2.7 lakh a month per Member of Parliament (MP). Do you think this expenditure is justified considering they are elected representatives and public servants? Critically comment. (200 Words)
Topic: Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
Topic: Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests,
5) Indian solar cell manufacturers have, for the second time, approached the government for imposing anti-dumping duties on the large-scale import of solar cells. What do you understand by anti-dumping duties? How will its imposition help Indian manufacturers and affect foreign vendors? Examine. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth
Topic: Achievements of Indians in S&T
7) Write a note on Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro)’s commercial arm Antrix Corporation and its achievements. Do you think ISRO should be allowed to involve in commercial ventures? Critically comment. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human actions
8) You are working as Superintendent of Police. Recently it was alleged that a woman constable from your office was found assaulting a teenage girl at a function. It was also found that the girl was assaulted because she raised legitimate questions about not allowing her to attend the function which was restricted to people of a particular caste alone. A video was found where the woman constable was found thrashing and abusing the girl. She was heard saying she would not allow the girl inside as girl was wearing inappropriate dress and was from a different caste.
The girl has registered complaint with you and is seeking justice. At the same time a group representing the caste of woman constable is requesting you to not to take any action against her as she belongs to a poor family and is the sole breadwinner in her family.