8 January 2015
Tomorrow’s Topic for GS-1: India Physical Environment, Class XI – Units One and Two
Please CLICK on the QUESTIONS to post your answers. They open in a new window/tab.
General Studies – 1
Topic: Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant
events, personalities, issues
Topic: The Freedom Struggle – its various stages and important contributors /contributions from different
parts of the country.
General Studies – 2
Topic: Indian Constitution- historical underpinnings, evolution
Topic: Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States, issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure
Topic: Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability
5) “India must have a system that introduces accountability and allows the public to evaluate the claims of good governance on the basis of evidence and not mere rhetoric.” Examine the possibility, need and challenges in introducing an index similar to human development index (HDI) to measure governance in India.(200 Words)
Topic: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health; can be linked to Paper-3 topic – Government Budgeting
Topic: Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian
7) With suitable examples analyse how the presence of large Indian diaspora and shared colonial past have been instrumental in forging good relationship between India and few countries spread across the world. (200 Words)
Topic: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Education
8) “The key problems confronting higher education in India are quality, equity, access and financing.” In the light of many problems being faced by India’s premier educational and research institutions, critically analyse the statement. (200 Words)
Topic: India and its neighborhood- relations.
9) Compare and contrast with suitable examples how some of India’s neighbours across its western border have become the victims of their own religious and security policies in recent times. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: mobilization of resources
10) “In its bid to mobilize resources by auctioning scarce resources such as spectrum at steep prices the government might be hurting the common man.” In the light of spectrum auctions held in last five years and government’s plan to conduct another auction in near future, critically comment on the statement. Also examine other criticisms made against spectrum auction. (200 Words)
Topic: Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies
General Studies – 4
Topic: challenges of corruption.
12) You are elected as Chief Minister with absolute majority. You are the absolute leader in your party. Your state is infamous for corruption. The previous government was corrupt and was mired in controversies regarding corruption scandals. You have come to power on the promise of rooting out corruption and giving clean governance.