31 December 2014
Tomorrow’s Topic for GS – 1: NCERT Class XII, Themes in Indian History – II Chapter – 9
General Studies – 1
Topic: Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times
Topic: Salient features of Indian Society
General Studies – 2
Topic: Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
3) If one looks at ongoing mega-regional trade agreements that are being negotiated around the world, it is apparent that India is left behind from becoming part of new interconnected global trade and investment environment. In this regard, examine why is it important for India to be part of these agreements and how it can do so. (200 Words)
Topic: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation; Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes
General Studies – 3
Topic: Land reforms in India
5) What do you understand by Social Impact Assessment? Way was it included in the Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Act 2013? Critically examine. (200 Words)
Topic: Indian Economy and issues relating to mobilization of resources
Topic: Linkages between development and spread of extremism
Topic: Linkages between development and spread of extremism; Role of external (and internal) state and non-state actors in creating challenges to internal security.
8) “…the state is so weak in Northeast India that it has given up the monopoly of organised violence to non-state actors, especially to those that have signed ceasefires.” With reference to continued violent extremism in some parts of North East and the Union government’s response to these developments, critically comment on government’s policy vis a vis insurgents and suggest what should be its policy to deal with such extremism in the region. (200 Words)
Topic: Infrastructure; Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation,
9) National Waterways in India are grossly underutilized for transport purposes. Examine the problems faced by them taking the example of National Waterway – 1. Also explain different uses of National Waterways. (200 Words)
Topic: Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies and minimum support prices; Major crops cropping patterns in various parts of the country
10) Recently the Agriculture ministry of the Union government proposed an import duty of ten per cent on gram and also removing export ban on pulsed and edible oils. Examine why. Also comment if measures like these are productive in the long term. (150 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human actions; dimensions of ethics; ethics in private and public relationships. Human Values
11) In a recent incident, a robber snatched gold chain from a woman and pushed her out of moving train. Luckily, she survived with a minor injury. That day she was forced to commute in train as her usual mode of transportation – buses – were shut down due to a city-wide bandh called by an organization. She was given free medical treatment by the Railways. It is known fact that if unfortunately she had died, the government would have announced monetary compensation to her nearest relative.
Your friend who is aware of this incident is commenting that the woman should have stayed at home instead of going for work. He also tells you that the government should not compensate such victims as these are mere accidents and if government goes on compensating in this way, it is an injustice to honest taxpayers like him.