– From 1974 till 2004 Indo-US relation was under strain over a number of issues, primarily one being the nuclear testing.
– since 2005-08 we were able to resolve the nuclear issue by historic civil nuclear deal by passing 123 agreement.
– But post 2009 both the sides were not able to invest the same degree of time, attention and determination in forming any major bilateral ties.
– On US side they were hoping that after passing 123 agreement would lead to nuclear commerce which did not happen(The Civil Liability for Nuclear Damage Act, 2010 or Nuclear Liability Act is one of the bone of contention) and some expectation that India would give them major contract for military inventory particularly the multipurpose combat aircraft which did not happen.
– On Indian side there were distress within because of our domestic political issues which led to a kind of stagnation with not much progress during this phase.
SIGNIFICANCE OF INDIA-US COMING TOGETHER
On many of the global challenges, if India-US are on the same page, then there will be a great advantage. For instance, climate change which is totally apolitical and a very serious challenge for the global community. If it has to be addressed satisfactorily then all the major powers like India, US,China will have to pull together.
Even on terrorism to deal with this malignancy it would be easier more to deal with, if India-US are on the same page. Significantly, all these positive bilateral cooperation offers a kind of mediation for other major powers including Russia, China, European union to have bilateral and multilateral relation to handle some of the common concerns more effectively.
AREAS OF DISPUTE
As partners, India-US can have some correspondence to manage our differences like India and US have divergent perception,
– on Pakistan
– on Iran
– on Moscow