10 November 2014
Answer ALL the questions in about 200 words:
1) In 2013 SEBI released new draft policy on insider trading norms after two decades. Examine why there is a need for new policy on insider trading.
2) “Dengue, a mosquito-borne viral disease, has been estimated to be a billion-dollar burden every year in India, according to a study.” Examine why its prevalent in India is high and what treatments are available to treat this disease.
3) Since India introduced economic reforms it has been witnessing ‘jobless growth’. Examine why and what should be done to address this?
4) There is a new proposal to replace Minimum Support Price mechanism by an income support based policy regime where farmers would be given a lump sum amount as income support, inclusive of all farm subsidies (fertiliser, power and others), on a graded per hectare basis. Critically discuss the problems of MSP policy and explain how the new proposed regime will be helpful to both farmers and the economy.
5) Critically discuss the relationship between China and Japan and explain why good relationship between these two countries is good for India and rest of the Asia.
6) “Equity is a pre-requisite for an effective agreement on climate change.” Critically comment with reference to India’s stand on the issue.
7) Examine how the internet can be used to bring better governance to the people. Also examine what challenges exist in India to achieve this and how can they be overcome?
8) Recently Mikhail Gorbachev warned that the world is on the brink of another Cold War. With reference to developments taking place in Europe, comment on this prediction.
9) ” The procedure for choosing a Secretary-General of the United Nations Organisation — adopted in 1946 — is “significantly outdated” and incompatible with selecting the best candidate.” Examine.