31 October 2014
Answer ALL the questions in about 200 words:
1) In the light of India’s poor performance in latest Global Gender Gap Index , critically examine how gender inequality affects the economy and what should India do to bridge the gender gap.
2) How far, do you think, Gram Sabhas have been able to empower local communities in India? Is it good for economy to empower them to take crucial decisions regarding mining and setting up of industries in sensitive regions? Critically comment.
3) Write a critical note about black money problem prevalent within India and the measures taken by the government of India to tackle this problem.
4) What do you understand by ‘Financial Repression’? It is said that the American Dollar is involved in financial repression and undue global dominance, and to stop this there is a need to bring cooperative currency standard involving renminbi and US dollar. Comment.
5) Write a note on the Global Slavery Index and critically comment on the modern slavery that is rampant in South Asia.
6) Critically examine the role played by Indira Gandhi in the post-independence consolidation and reorganisation of India.
7) What are the objectives of monetary policy in India? In a recent general budget the government talked about the need for modern monetary policy framework. Examine why.
8) “Most of the chaos and turmoil in West Asia today can be traced to events during and after World War I.” Examine.
9) Some analysts argue that India should join the coalition that is fighting against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria keeping in mind its long-term geopolitical, economic and security interests. Do you agree? Substantiate.