02 May 2014
Answer ALL the questions in about 200 words
1. With an example, critically examine the flaws associated with urban planning in India. What suggestions would you give to overcome these flaws? Explain.
2. Write a note on the United States Trade Representative’s (USTR) ‘Special 301’ report. Explain why was it controversial with reference to India.
3. Critically comment on the rise of communism in Nepal. What is its present ideology? What is India’s position vis a vis Nepal’s communist parties? Explain.
4. What strategies does India need to adopt to combat drought and abnormal Monsoon conditions to guarantee food and water security? Critically examine.
5. Comment and the Convention on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) role in eliminating violence against women.
The Hindu (the link actually provide answer to the question on ‘pornography’ that was asked two days ago)
6. Discuss the areas of concern in trade between India and the European Union. Examine the impact of these concerns on the growth of trade between these two.
7. The Summer of 1940 was such a crucial time in the beginning of World War II. Explain the events that occurred during this time. How did German victories in the west affect at least two of the following powers and their actions: France, Great Britain, the Soviet Union, and the United States?
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
8. Recently scientists synthesised an artificial yeast chromosome. What is its significance? Explain the potential applications of this scientific breakthrough.
9. What are hybrid cars? Explain the technology used to manufacture them? What are their benefits over ordinary cars?
10. What do you understand by Gravitational Lensing? Why was it in news recently?