21 April 2014
Answer ALL the questions in about 200 words
1. Do you think establishing a separate fund such as National Investment Fund would help the infrastructure sector grow? If yes, examine how it should be governed and from where funds can be mobilized.
2. What were Kirit Parikh Committee‘s recommendations related to fuel prices? Are they too radical to implement? Comment.
Business Standard (passing mention)
3. What is a floodplain? How floods are caused? Examine the sociological impacts of floods.
4. Do you support the idea of making voting in elections compulsory? Substantiate.
5. What do you understand by state and non-state actors with reference to terrorism? Give examples and critically comment on who poses greater threat to India – state or non-state actors?
6. Discuss the importance of opposition party in a parliamentary democracy.
7. Why is the Supreme Court’s judgement in S.R. Bommai vs. Union of India case significant? Comment with suitable examples.
8. What are the important sources of biofuels? Examine why biofuel production in India is still lagging behind.