04, March 2014
Answer ALL the following questions in about 200 Words each
1. Explain why stability in domestic polity, economy and society is important for better investment and growth? Give examples.
2. It is said that the suboptimal fiscal-monetary mix remains a critical risk to the strength and sustainability of economic recovery. What do you understand by this? Do you agree with this view? Comment.
3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of river linking projects that are being undertaken or proposed in various part of the country? Do you think there are alternatives to resolve the issue of water scarcity in deficit regions? Explain.
4. In the context of India’s leadership in the generic drugs market, do you think Indian patent laws are disincentivizing innovation in inventing new effective cures by pharma companies? Is patent protection the only way to produce new effective drugs or are there any other models? Examine.
5. Along with corporate social responsibility, individual social responsibility (ISR) can be effective in contributing to the society. Should companies and governments make it mandatory or should it be voluntary? Explain the obstacles to make it mandatory.
6. What were the causes and consequences of Crimean war of 1853? Explain.
7. Recent reports have revealed that many systemic bottlenecks have rendered human rights commissions, commissions for minorities, SC and STs, largely ineffective. What are these bottlenecks? and how can they be overcome? Comment.
8. Why the recommendations made by Tandon committee set up by the Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD) in 2009 was controversial? Examine.